Monday, August 10, 2015

The Scriptures are amazing!

Dear Family,
I will never get to a point when I have learned everything. The scriptures are so complicated and full of significance. It amazes me how we read the stories, learn the message that is sprinkled on top, but we never ask what more we can learn from this passage of scripture. For example, how many sons did Lehi have? Lamon, Lemuel, Sam, Nefi, Jacob, and Joseph. How many rebelled? 2. 2/6. 1/3. 1/3rd rebelled... how many people rebelled against Gods plan and followed Satan? The scriptures tell us everything we need to know. It makes me so sad how sometimes we read them without studying them. Dont get me wrong, the messages sprinkled on top are wonderful, and it is wonderful to read the scriptures, but why dont we have this intense desire to learn? How is it that we can be happy with primary school answers our whole life? We read the scriptures, and we think we know what they are saying, so we accept it and move on. That is not how it should be. I would like to challenge you to understand the scriptures more deeply. 
We had an amazing Stake Conference with Elder Alonso! He is amazing and I love the way he explains the gospel. For him, everything is focussed on the Atonement. He talked to us about the Sabbath Day on Saturday. He said, "Those who dont partake of the sacrament on Sunday dont have the spirit. You can pray, you can study the scriptures, but if you dont take the sacrament, you dont have the spirit". I love how direct he is! On Sunday he talked to us about the temple and family history work. Go to the temple. Do family history work. Keep your recommed. Never let it expire and always stay worthy to enter. He said, "I have this theory, its not doctrine, but its a theory, when Christ comes, where do you think he is going to go? To the chapel? NO, that isnt his house. He is going to go to his house, the temple. And what happens if he comes and you dont have a recommend to enter? The bishop isnt going to be there filling out recommends, he is going to take his family to the temple. If you dont have the recommend when he comes, your out of luck". Please. Go to the temple. 
During the conference he called all the missionaries up and said, "now we are going to sing like we practiced..." We didnt practice. We sang "I am a Child of God" and afterward he talked about how we wake up, happy, every morning at 6:30, exercize, study personally, study with our companion, study language, and we leave. During the day we are rejected, ignorned, and lied to, then, we go home, plan for the next day, kneel in prayer thanking God for the day, and it starts all over again. Then, like a cut to the heart, he asked everyone in that conference what they are doing for us. Do they reject us? Ignore us? Lie to us? or do they support us? I almost cried because we havent recieved support from our members here, and our area is really hard. We dont have many investigators. Contacting doesnt work for anything. Its really hard.
This week was really amazing. I loved it. I dont have a lot of time to write this week, I am sorry, but I want yall to know that I love you and you are in my prayers. I hope yall have a great week!
With all my love, 
Hermana Eardley

No comments:

Post a Comment