Monday, January 12, 2015

Good, but weird, week..‏Jan 12th, 2015

Dear Family,

This week was weird. Good, but weird.

We have this investigator, her name is Catherine, she is 22 and has 3 children. She is not married, doesnt have a boyfriend. She had her first child when she was 15. Needless to say, she has her hardships. She is also one of the many people here who live in 4 walls with nothing but a bed. We have been teaching her for some time. She wants to learn, but its hard to get her to participate or talk in our lessons. This last week we had a lesson with her and I asked her if she had read the scriptures we had given her, she said no, so I said okay that is what we are going to do. We read the scriptures. We discussed them. (Moroni 10, 3 to 5) I bore her my testimony and told her that she needs to find her own. After a little bit she told us she wants to be baptized! I am so excited for her, we put her date for the 31 of January, but we will see because before she gets baptized, we want to make sure she is looking past baptism to the temple. I am not sure if she is there yet, but she has the desire and I am so priveledged to be here helping her grow in the gospel.

On Wednesday we found a family that lives fairly close to the church and we were able to teach them. They are really cool and they love to laugh at me for every little thing that I do, it would bother me, but I am just glad that they are also listening to the message that we are there to share. I feel really blessed to have found them and that the Lord trusts us to teach them.

We have been teaching this other family for awhile. Family Abrego. The hermano and hermana arent married, but they have 3 kids and have been together for awhile. The hermano has had problems with alcohol, coffee (he works for the police and doesnt like his job). He is a good guy and has been working really hard to change. This last week they told us that they want to get married and baptized. We are working on their marriage papers right now. The hermano also is trying really hard to learn English so he always talks to me in English (its really broken, sometimes I have to have him repeat it in Spanish). This last week he asked me to give the prayer in English. Of course I was thrilled! My first English prayer in 4 months! It started like this, Querido Padre Heavenly Father. Yeah, that was literally the hardest thing I have ever had to do concerning language. The English words would not come, and when they did, my mouth just couldnt say them. So frustrating.

We started teaching an Aventista (I dont know what it is in English, but it is a religion). I dont know if yall know the story about that religion, but remember a few years back when a women decided she wanted the priesthood? Well, that women left the church, wrote a book, and started her own church called La Iglesia Aventista ( or the something church.. Adventist? I dont know). When we were talking to him he told us all about her, except the part where she used to be part of our church. I am pretty sure they dont know that part. It was so tempting to just tell him, but one thing I have learned is we cant teach Gods Doctrine with Satans Tactics. That isnt how its done. So, we listened and we just bore our testimonies and talked a little about the gospel and after the lesson we talked about it, and decided that we werent even going to mention it in our lessons with him.

So members are super awesome here and always feed us, but there is one member here, Hermana Fina, who cant see. She is blind, but she still cooks. This last week we were at her house for dinner and she gave us these tomalies that were so not good. Me and my companion looked at eachother with this OH NO type of look. There was other things, rice, obviously, and a little salad. I ate those and tried the tomalie (is that how you spell it?) and it was aweful. My companion was a little stronger than me and she ate a little bit more of it than I could, but truthfully I was just thinking, I am so glad you are blind so I can go throw this away. It was so bad of me, but we couldnt eat it.

Right after that dinner we got a call from the Zone Leaders that told us we needed to get on a bus to David for a conference the next morning. The conference was with a member of the Seventy and he called the mission to repentance. Told our mission president that we needed to repent because of our disobedience and to have more faith in the Lord and his work... I dont think our mission president was happy, but I enjoyed the conference and took some really good notes. Also, I was able to have Subway that day... they didnt have a BLT, but I was just thrilled to have a version of American food.

We found this lady named Gesena and turns out her sister was baptized in the church but soon after went inactive. We talked to her for a bit and afterward she invited us back so that I could teach her how I do my hair... french braids and buns... it wasnt the reason we were hoping for but it gives us another opportunity to talk to her. We did have that opportunity and turns out her whole family wanted to listen to us. We arent sure how many of them seriously want to learn and how many are just being nice and listening, but we are super excited to find out.

So many things happened this week, good things, but it was a weird week.

I love you so much and I hope that yall had a good week! Yall are in my prayers! Thank you so much for all of your support and your love.

Love, Hermana Eardley


© 2015 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United States)

No comments:

Post a Comment